Named after the hamlet of Acol in Kent which was first recorded as Acholt in 1270, made up of two Old English words, ac for oak and holt for wood, so a wood of oak-trees. It was named by the Powell-Cotton family whose estate Quex Park in Birchington-on-Sea, is close to the village. This road was originally on land of Kilburn Wood Farm, which John Powell bought as in investment in 1773. Both this and his other estate Shoot Up Hill Farm were passed down through the family. Once the railways lines in the Kilburn area were established, the land began to be sold for housing. All the roads were named after places local to the family’s property at Quex Park, in Kent, and later after places Major Powell-Cotton visited on his travels – particularly Abyssinia (Ethiopia) between 1899 – 1900.
229 total views, 1 views today