James Hamilton (January 21, 1811 – October 31, 1885), 1st Duke of Abercorn, was politician and landowner who from 1810 was a governor of Harrow School when this was road was laid out. Hamilton’s father died when he was three. The land had been bought nearly 250 years earlier by John Lyon, a wealthy Elizabethan yeoman who had founded Harrow School in 1571. At the same time he purchased a 40 acre farm in Lisson Grove to be held by the governors of the school to pay for the maintenance of the road from London to Harrow. The name began to be developed around 1823 and the streets named after serving governors.
252 total views, 1 views today