A reference, like many in the area, to Kilburn Priory, a property of the Abbots of Westminster. The priory was a small monastic community of nuns established sometime around 1130 – 1134, up until then it had been used as a hermitage by Godwyn, a recluse, who gave the property to the church of St Peter, Westminster. The priory was established with the consent of Gilbert Universalis, bishop of London, before his death in August 1134. Though it was originally subordinate to Westminster Abbey, whose monks followed the Benedictine rule, by 1377 it was described as being an order of Augustinian canonesses.
197 total views, 1 views today