- Named after Trinity College, Cambridge, the UK’s richest university college with land holdings of 13,335 acres that have been valued at £730 million. In 1538, following the dissolution of the monasteries, Henry VIII granted the Rectory of Enfield to Thomas Audley, who was made Lord Audley of Walden. But within seven years it was back in the hands of the king who in 1548 granted it along with sundry other lands that had previously belonged to the Catholic church to the newly founded Trinity College. This considerable landholding of the Enfield Rectory was described in the Parliamentary Commissioners’ report of 1650 as being worth £30 a year, the tithe of corn and grass worth £230 a year; the Parsonage House then had “one great barne with outhouses and fish ponds, two small orchards, and four closes of pasture thereto adjoining, containing eight acres or thereabouts. Also 24 acres of arable land in the Common Field, and 5 acres and 1 rood of meadow in the Common Marshes being lammas ground”. The Vicar of Enfield also held the “Vicarage House, with the barns, outhouses and two orchards, with one close of pasture adjoining and two acres of arable land in the Common Field”. Following the Enfield Chase Enclosure Acts of 1777, 279 acres were allocated to Trinity College with a further 950 acres in 1801 in lieu of tithes. Additional land was allocated to the vicar, 80 acres in 1777 with a further 160 acres out of the Trinity College allotment on the condition that any Fellow accepting the living should vacate his fellowship, and just over 382 acres in 1801, in lieu of the vicar’s tithes in the parish. The first houses were occupied in 1903.
16 total views, 2 views today