Named after the modest but brave Lieutenant-General Sir James Outram (January 29, 1803 – March 11, 1863) a commander working with the British East India Company in the Indian Rebellion of 1857. He had previously distinguished himself in the First Afghan War and the Anglo-Persian War. But it was in India that he won most admiration. Having lifted the siege of Lucknow, he so admired the defence of the town by Major General Sir Henry Havelock that he gave him the honours. It is one of five roads built on the site of the East India Company Military Seminary by the British Land Company, and named after prominent figures in the history of British India. Charles Canning, 1st Earl Canning, statesman and Governor-General of India during the Indian Rebellion; Colin Campbell, 1st Baron Clyde, Henry Havelock and Sir James Outram, 1st Baronet, who were all generals in India during the same rebellion; and James Bruce, 8th Earl of Elgin, Governor-General of India between 1862 – 1863.
239 total views, 1 views today