This street was laid out over land that had been part of Malden Green Farm, so called because it was literally overlooking the village green. The name was mentioned as Meldone in the Domesday Book of 1086, the old Malden which was to the north and west of today’s Worcester Park Station denoted a hill marked with a cross or crucifix, from the Old English words mǽl and dūn. The name went through various spellings including Meldon in 1206, Mauldon in 1225, and Maulden in 1602. The cross upon the hill is thought to have been formed from the foundations of the Church of St John the Baptist, which still retains Saxon features and is Grade II listed.
138 total views, 1 views today