Thought to be named after the public house the Robin Hood & Little John which was built in the 1850s and stands at the junction with Lion Road. The land was sold by the Lewin family in 1851 to a shoemaker from East Wickham. In the 1861 census the pub was just called The Robin Hood but by four years later Little John was added to the name. The story is the then licensee had a young son called John who was killed on the pub’s forecourt, when a dray making a delivery rolled back over the boy. Hence the Little John part of the name.
79 total views, 1 views today