So named because of the swimming baths that this road runs down alongside. Today it is called Poplar Baths Leisure Centre and Gym, previously it was named East India Hall, plain Public Baths and Laundries. This road which now only runs between East India Dock Road and Lawless Street once snaked as far as Smyth Street, since then a council estate has been built on it. The area is named after the poplar trees which grew here – or may even have given the tree its name. It was first written down as Popler in 1327, having not been an independent parish until after the Norman Conquest. The area was later recorded as Le Popler in documents from 1351.
21 total views, 1 views today