As the name implies this road was laid out on the grounds of a former school, the Knox Road Special School. It was opened in 1920 for 200 mentally and physically disabled children. Six years later it opened the Crosby Road Open Air School, which was designed to prevent the widespread rise of tuberculosis. Initially this was for 60 delicate girls but, in 1932, it was extended to serve 30 boys as well. The Knox Road Special School was renamed Gurney Special School in 1949 and continued at the site. It closed down in 1995 and the site was redeveloped as a private housing estate.
5 total views, 1 views today