Named after the Lewin family, and in particular Thomas Herbert Lewin, large landowners around Bexley and in neighbouring areas. Sometime around 1782 Thomas Richard Lewin, a wealthy farmer, bought an estate at Halfway Street. His grandson Thomas Herbert wrote about India and its languages, genealogy and religion. The estate was sold in 1901 to the Greenwich and Deptford Board of Guardians and set up a self-contained village for poor children, using the mansion as the administrative centre. From 1965 onwards the home was closed down, and the estate developed for private residence.
66 total views, 1 views today