Site of a former glassworks. The industry remained in the area until the 1960s. Glassworks tended to be near rivers because it needed heavy materials like sand, coal and potash for its manufacture that were easier to transport by water. It is thought to have started in the area from around 1540. The works were bought in 1616 by Sir Roger Mansell who made drinking glasses here. Other firms specialised in Crown glass, an early type of window glass that was blown into a crown or hollow globe.
67 total views, 1 views today