Named after the Dashwood family who owned Hall Place from the mid-18thCentury. It was bought by Sir Francis Dashwood, who despite being a politician and Chancellor of the Exchequer from 1762 – 1763, was also a known rake and founder of the Hellfire Club. Hall Place was one of a number of properties owned and managed by the Dashwood family, whose principal home was West Wycombe Park in Buckinghamshire. Local officials however prefer to think of the road being named after his grandson Maitland Dashwood, who made significant changes to Hall Place in the 1870s. Maitland and his architect Robert William Edis added the lodge, linked the house to the water mains and altered the interior by adding much of the fine wood panelling and parquet flooring. These improvements were made to prepare the house for lease.