A reference to the Archbishops of Canterbury who for over 500 years from at least the late Saxon period held Croydon Palace as a summer property. Historically this road formed the principal drive to Addington Palace from the north. By the late 18thCentury, the Palace had become dilapidated and uncomfortable and the local area was squalid. An Act of Parliament enabled Croydon Palace to be sold and Addington Palace to be bought in 1807 with the proceeds. Today, the former Croydon Palace is used as an independent girls’ school. The first residential developments were laid out in the 1920s and have been developed since then.
82 total views, 1 views today