Originally called Victoria Road after the long-reigning Monarch, it changed its name to the present Albert Road, after the death of the consort, Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (August 26, 1819 – December 14, 1861). The pair, who were first cousins, wed on February 10 1840. He developed a reputation for supporting public causes, such as educational reform and the abolition of slavery worldwide, and was entrusted with running the Queen’s household, office and estates. He was heavily involved with the organisation of the Great Exhibition of 1851. His death was thought to have been from typhoid fever but today it is believed he may have been suffering from a chronic disease, such as Crohn’s disease, renal failure, or abdominal cancer.
47 total views, 1 views today