Named after Dr Robert Ainsworth (1660 – April 4, 1743), a nonconformist schoolmaster, antiquarian and lexicographer originally from Eccles, Lancashire. After teaching in Bolton he moved to London whereupon he set up a school in Hackney. This provided him with the means to pursue his classical studies. Living in nearby St Thomas’s Square he wrote his famed Compendium Dictionary of the Latin Tongue (published in 1743) and much on coins and antiquities. He died on April 4, 1743. He was buried in Poplar, and a Latin inscription, written by himself, was placed over his remains and those of his wife.
51 total views, 1 views today